This machine has been fully restored and sold, this is an example of previous restoration work by New England Victrola & Clock.
This machine was very rare, one of a kind and finding another would be difficult.
1920 Newby & Evans Phonograph – Mahogany
Serial Number 303418
Restored in August 2019
About the Newby & Evans Company
Alfred J. Newby and John Evans entered into partnership in 1882 to form the firm of “Newby & Evans” in New York City. Mr. Newby had worked for many years for his brother-in-law, piano maker Peter Mixsell while Mr. Evans came to the firm with a background in banking and finance. The combined talents of Newby & Evans led the firm to great success in a relatively short amount of time. By 1888 the firm erected a factory on 136th Street that was capable of building 40 pianos a week!
During the 19th Century the firm built upright pianos exclusively, but after the turn-of-the-century they added player pianos to their product line. Newby & Evans built a line of pianos under the brand name “Monroe” as an affordable alternative to the costlier Newby & Evans brand name. Newby & Evans was absorbed into The National Piano Manufacturing Company after the Great Depression. The firm continued to build pianos under the “Newby & Evans” brand name until World War II.